What is ozone therapy
Ozone therapy is a method of non-medical treatment using a mixture of oxygen and ozone, O2/O3 (medical ozone). The therapy is a form of treatment that has been used for more than a century, based on the principle that in most conditions, tissues are insufficiently oxygenated. Thus, treatment based on an increased supply of oxygen and ozone can repair tissues from within, reducing inflammation.
Ozone therapy – mechanism of action and benefits and side effects
The mechanism of action of ozone in medical treatment is its ability to stimulate the immune system and support the killing of bacteria, viruses and fungi.
The effects are remarkable: neutralising toxins inside cells, reducing inflammation in tissues, regulating pH, increasing immunity, activating peripheral circulation, and virtually no adverse effects.
So the body benefits of ozone therapy include:
- anti-inflammatory effect – ozone can reduce inflammation and pain by modulating the immune system and killing microorganisms that cause infections and inflammatory processes;
- immune system stimulation – ozone can stimulate the activity of T lymphocytes, white blood cells and natural killer cells, which support the fight against infection and cancer;
- tissue oxygenation – various forms of ozone therapy can cause blood vessels to dilate, increasing blood flow, leading to better tissue oxygenation. Thus, ozone can be useful in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease;
- effectiveness in the treatment of chronic pain – some chronic pain patients have reported a significant reduction in pain after certain ozone treatments;
- anti-infective effect – ozone can stimulate the killing of microorganisms that cause infections.
Thanks to the therapeutic effects mentioned above, ozone therapy is used as an aid in the treatment of a wide range of diseases:
- rheumatological disorders – due to the myorelaxant and anti-inflammatory action of ozone on intervertebral discs and joints, it can be used in the treatment of herniated discs, lumbosciatica, gonarthrosis, coxarthrosis, chronic pain, as well as in post-traumatic recovery (fractures, dislocations, sprains, etc.)
- dermatological conditions – ozone therapy gives excellent results in treating skin conditions such as psoriasis, herpes, shingles, varicose ulcers, cellulitis, fungal and bacterial infections, alopecia (hair loss), scars, dark circles and fine wrinkles.
- Respiratory tract disorders: bronchial asthma, rhinitis, fungal and bacterial infections (oral candidiasis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, etc.)
- Cardiovascular diseases – ozone therapy can be useful for treating cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and hypertension,
- nervous system disorders – ozone therapy can be used to improve blood flow to the brain and nerve endings with beneficial effects in disorders such as ischaemic stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease;
- genitourinary disorders – ozone therapy can be used to treat urinary infections and kidney diseases (nephritis, renal lithiasis, renal failure, prostate disorders, vulvovaginitis, metroanexitis, infertility, etc.).
- Digestive tract disorders – ozone therapy can be a useful treatment for gastrointestinal tract infections such as colitis, Chron’s disease, chronic hepatitis, gastric ulcer, gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection, etc.
Other benefits of ozone therapy:
- Ozone treatment is an excellent body invigorator that improves physical and mental performance;
- reduces the size of nodular formations in the adipose tissue of people affected by cellulite;
- visibly reduces venous ectatia, especially in the thighs and calves;
- has good results in varicose pathologies;
- autohemotherapy with ozone has good results for overweight people who want to lose weight;
- ozone has a remarkable effect on antibiotic-resistant infections and most importantly it does not destroy the body’s saprophytic (beneficial) flora;
- Vampire” therapy or platelet and ozone enriched plasma is one of the most popular procedures for revitalizing the tits. The role of this procedure is to stimulate collagen production and tissue regeneration, without allergic or side effects, and is ideal for stimulating hair growth (in areas of alopecia aerata, diffuse or androgenic), rejuvenating and regenerating the skin, diminishing fine wrinkles, improving the appearance of the face, neck, neckline, hands, reducing the appearance of stretch marks, improving melasma and pigmentation spots. It is also used as an adjuvant in the treatment of joint disorders, through the same mechanism of stimulating collagen production and reducing inflammation.
Ozone therapy is free of side effects, as long as it is applied in strict compliance with therapeutic protocols. That’s why in our clinic you will benefit from advice and treatment carried out by medical specialists using state-of-the-art equipment.